Welcome to Mauritius! This beautiful island nation is located in the Indian Ocean, east of Madagascar. Mauritius is a popular tourist destination, known for its stunning beaches, lush vegetation, and friendly people.
Whether you're looking to relax on the beach or explore the island's many attractions, Mauritius has something for everyone. In this travel guide, we at Allianz Travel provide an overview of what you can expect on your trip to Mauritius, a perfect paradise destination.
Where is Mauritius ?
Mauritius can be found 2,000km off the southeast cost of the African continent and is surrounded by the Indian Ocean. The island of Mauritius is part of the Republic of Mauritius, which is made up of itself and the islands Rodrigues, Cargados Carajos and Agalena.
How do I get to Mauritius from South Africa?
You can fly direct to Mauritius from Cape Town, Durban or Johannesburg with a flight time of approx. 4 hours.
When is the best time to visit Mauritius ?
Mauritius is amazing to visit any time of the year, it boasts yearlong sunshine. The months of November and December are generally the best times weather wise to visit, if we had to pick a time, with May – October being the dry season with temperatures around 18-24 degrees, and November – April being warmer, approx. 25 to 33 degrees but more humid and rainy.
Where do I stay in Mauritius ?
Most tourists tend to stay towards the north of the island, with the south being a little quieter in comparison.
Grand Bay in the north boasts an amazing costal beach with nightlife and lots of places to eat.
Also towards the North you will find Mont Choisy, a 3km stretch of beach, one of the longest on the island, and a main highlight. Here you will find the beach flanked by trees, places to eat snacks and endless relaxation. This area has lots of accommodation options from budget friendly self-catering to luxury hotels.
Blue Bay on the south east of Mauritius is renowned for its, well, blue bay, serene ambiance and it’s protected marine area. Here you will find incredible views and activities such as boat tours, snorkelling and diving.
Also in the south you will find Le Morne, an area of paradise! This area is a UNESCO World Heritage site, plus it is where you will find the Le Morne Brabant, the mountain that you will see on any postcard of the island!
(Waterfall in Black River Gorges)
What is there to do in Mauritius?
- Kite Surfing: In the south of the island you will be able to join its famous kite surfing! The area has perfect conditions for such an activity and brings hundreds of enthusiasts each year.
- Golf: Mauritius has some vast golf courses, attracting golfers from all around the world. Imagine playing golf with the view of Mauritius!
- Swim with Dolphins: If you dream of swimming with dolphins in their natural habitat then Mauritius is for you! Go out on one of the many guided tours on offer for an experience of a lifetime.
- See cascading waterfalls: Take a visit to the Black River Gorges, the largest national park in Mauritius, to take in stunning views and its famous waterfalls.
- Le Mourne Mountain: As previously mentioned, Le Mourne Mountain is a UNESCO World Heritage site, and one you must visit for its stunning beauty.
- Natural History Museum: Within the country’s capital, Port Louis, you are able to see an ancient Dodo skeleton, among other interesting natural history.
- Duty free shopping: Visit the Caudan Waterfront in Port Louis to shop from 170 boutiques, designer labels and duty-free shops. If you like cashmere, here is the place to grab yours for cheap!
Mauritius is an island paradise and there is so much to do! It is the perfect place to visit year-round, with lots to keep you busy. Stay in the north for a livelier atmosphere or travel to the south for more tranquillity. Whichever you choose you are sure to have an amazing time!
Don't forget your travel insurance
Make sure you are fully covered before your trip by getting travel insurance. We offer travel insurance options
that will cover you for any unexpected costs while you are away, such as medical expenses, lost or stolen belongings, and cancellations or delays to your travel plans. Get a quote with us!